Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Container



Well, we got word today that our container has arrived in country! Yahoo! It's a funny feeling knowing that our worldly possessions are now so close to us. It could well be equally as long to get our belongings to our door, as it was to get it across the ocean and around a super typhoon. We are so thankful that the typhoon didn't claim all those boxes :) God has been more than gracious in supplying what we have needed for the time being.

Funny, but I think one of the things that I am looking forward to are my covers for my bed. I am continuously shaking my head at myself regarding this. You see...there is a fine art in getting the temperature just right at night. It's either hot with a fan blowing on you, or it's cold with the air-conditioner going. Now, I have, after two months, begun to figure the precise location the two dials need to be set at in order to not wake up chilling at 3 am digging through the closet for a sweater. Don't think for a moment that I am not supremely grateful for that air conditioner. It has been something that has really helped with a large chunk of the culture shock that I have been dealing with. Also, because our precious little girl believes that there is no better place to be than in front of the cold, blowing, air, I have been able to maintain some sanity.

It will also be so nice to have my own pots and pans. It's quite surprising, but it does alter the level of comfort and simplicity in cooking when you are using equipment that you know and trust. Now, that doesn't mean that I will be doing a lot more cooking, because the temperature in the kitchen is still....you guessed it...hot.

The kids have been dreaming about their belongings that are so carefully tucked away in boxes. They really have been troupers here without their toys and books. The number of times I have been asked when the container will arrive have been increasing steadily. They keep commenting on the fact that when their stuff gets here they won't feel so cooped up in the city. Hmmm...we'll have to see.

I know all this sounds so terribly shallow. Simply put, it is. I am continuously amazed at how the enemy uses the simple things like temperature and convenience to get us off track. The trick is all in the attitude. I know that God cares about the little things like cooking utensils, and temperature, and He understands how the enemy blows them out of proportion. Fortunately He is beyond that, and has conquered the enemy already. I have thought many times how I would react if I never got my "stuff," and I know that it would be a bummer, but that God has supplied all of our needs thus far, and promises to always do so. It's just "stuff," and I've already forgotten a lot of what is packed away in those boxes :)

Please pray for the details of getting our shipment through customs and at our doorstep, for not only is our "stuff" in there, but several other people have miscellaneous items, along with the necessary equipment for our work.

Here is our "stuff" before it was loaded into the container (left) and our "stuff" during the loading process (right). Millions of thanks to those of you who offered your sweat and muscle to load up all those boxes!!!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Stuff mart, stuff mart! Ah, I love Veggie Tales.

I'm glad your stuff has arrived at least on dry land, and I'll pray that it gets to you sooner rather than later. :) Isn't it awesome that God understands us and leads us ever so gently to Him with or without all the stuff we have/want/think we need? I cannot imagine having four children have to give up their stuff (even if just for a time), move across the world, and then have them have to wait for it. Your kids are awesome.

Unknown said...

So good to see you on here and to be able to know that because of the beauty of the internet we can connect at a moments notice. Back in the good ol' days of missionary work this communication would have taken weeks, and maybe months! Just another reason to be thankful we live in this time.

Unknown said...

What a brilliant thing to be able to connect instantly like this! Back in the good ol' days this communication would have taken weeks/months. Another reason to be thankful we live in this world and time.

We love you guys so much and are thankful your container is at least on land. Now we'll pray that it reaches you soon.

betsey said...

Hello!!! We miss you guys. Grace asks to go to Mari's house pretty regularly- the other day she wanted to go to "Vanilla" to visit you. I hope you get your container soon- This is my first blogging experience. Pretty cool set up. Love ya lots!! Stay dry- Betsey

Glenn Zane said...

Hi Guys:
I tried to leave a comment but found the order of entering a comment and signing up is different than expected so I think it was erased. It is good that you have required ID. We are glad the container is in your neighborhood. Hope you actually get to see it soon. And I really have been praying the typhoon motion did not smash too many of the soap containers we stuffed in with the rest of the material. Please let us know if anything got ruined. After hearing about the Typhoon I have been concerned.

I think most should have survived well but those loose cotainers of liquid soap in the CCK's may have not done well.

White Diana said...

I'm excited for you guys to get your stuff. Wish I had hidden some secret treasure in there to see if you would notice... Didn't think of it till now. Love and lots of hugs to all!!

White Diana said...

Let's pray for snow, or at least Christmas in September!!! Love ya'll

Unknown said...

Look at my family! Blogging maniacs! I'm so proud. :P

Tell John that Trev keeps asking aobut him. Oh, and he has an Andy in his class, but he wanted me to understand "it's not the one that is my cousin". LOL!

Unknown said...

Hey, go to my site and see the cool pics Betsey took of Cora. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

New post! New post! What's going on in the life of the Manila Zanes??? Inquiring minds want to know...