Thursday, July 17, 2008

How do I process?

How do you process the realization that you spent as much in one trip to the grocery store for your family of six as your friend makes in one month for a family of 5? Then, add to that the knowledge that your electricity bill is equally as much. How do you process feeling like you sacrifice so much financially, and then make that kind of discovery?

In my passport country I live at "poverty" level. Now, I am "wealthy" and don't even see it, and yet, I struggle regularly trying to stretch the money.

How do I rationalize spending approximately 30% less on a cup of coffee from Starbucks (here vs the States), and at the same time spend one half of the daily wage being made by the people serving me the cup of coffee? In California the Minimum Wage is $8.00/hour. I certainly wouldn't spend $32.00 on a Mocha.

In the old days (before we became missionaries) I didn't have this perspective. Sometimes I wish I still didn't have it. The past 5 years have been as though the Lord has had me on his potters wheel and made a whole new me.

All I know is that I am a work in process. I know that God is always working on me. I am easily consumed with my selfish desire for comfort...my coffee, the temperature, having my family at my side.

I don't know how to process some things. I would just rather turn my head and not have to process it. There is no where I can go to get away from this.

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

I am claiming that promise!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't imagine all the changes and the differences you see. I can't imagine seeing the people so poor and hungry. I have a hard time seeing the homeless with their children in front of the grocery store and then to think of a nation that considers that normal just breaks my heart. Sometimes I wonder if God wants to break our hearts so He can mend them in a way that is more like Him...

White Diana said...

Keep claiming it! And for me also... What an horridly beautiful devastating perspective. I hate it! But, I love it!