Thursday, November 1, 2007

Trick or Treat Outreach

We pooled our resources and whipped up a quick little "harvest" party for the kids whose parents worked for the Seminary, and or on the campus. There were several houses on campus who were willing to be target homes for trick-or-treating, and then we set up a fun little "carnival" in our dining hall. It was really fun! The kids were all told to dress up, not scary, and come at 4pm. Then we gave them maps to the houses that were involved in the trick-or-treating, and they went around and filled up their shopping bags with goodies. When they returned back to the dining hall, we fed them hot-dogs, chips and drinks, then turned them loose on the few games we had scattered about.

It was so fun to see the MK's and the local kids intermingling and having so much fun together. We were in charge of the "fishing booth." Luke did the decorating of the outside of the booth. Andy helped the kids with their fishing skills. Most of these kids had never been fishing, and didn't know what it meant when the line was being tugged on :) However, Andy was there to guide the...he was a faithful fishing guide. Then, Luke took over the fishing guide job, and Jon came inside and clipped on toys to the end of the pole.

Some of the other games the kids played were "pin the nose on the pumpkin," "pumpkin toss," and we had a "cookie walk" rather than a "cake walk." The children really enjoyed themselves and it was a pleasure to interact with the whole family, not just the parents.

I've put in a brief slide show, of course, it's mostly of our kids, but you can get the general idea this way. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mari's hair looks so LONG! I love her wings and costume. My boys were ninjas this year too. :) It looks like you all had a ton of fun. Your fish hat made me giggle.

We just got back from the ranch, and you guys were sorely missed. I even went this year. Eric and you will be interested to know that TJ and I have struck a deal - I will get my hunting license and go hunting with him (I don't know why he wants me to do that, but he does) and he will take couples dance lessons with me. Yay! Also, please tell Eric I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen on our way to the gate Sunday evening. He and his doe were just sitting on the hillside watching us. TJ stopped the Bronco and we sat for nearly 5 minutes. The twins got such a kick out of getting to see a real live buck. In fact, God blessed us with many opportunites to see many animals this past weekend. Can't wait to share the pics with you, but Bets has them because I'm a goof and forgot to put the memory card in my camera before we left (I'd just uploaded all the other pics to my computer...). *sigh* I'm a nerd. :P Love ya!

White Diana said...

Those are awesome costumes! And How FUN to see pics of Mari walking. Soon, she will have some little Fitz girl on her heals... Tehe Well, I dressed as myself again this All hallows Eve. I didn't have the kids, but got to have them for Neewollah, so that was fun. Tyler was the Human Torch from Fantastic 4 and Kirstin was (as she is) a queen. I hope you had a great retreat and are feeling up to the tasks ahead of you. If not, well, I know you know the Source of all that you need. Love you ever so much, and miss you equally, d

SandyT said...

What a treat to see pictures of you! Sounds like you all had a fun time.
Ruddy and I are still here on the north coast, and he may be about finished for the season from log hauling. It rained yesterday and is supposed to do that most of this coming week.

Unknown said...

Go to my Xanga to check out our Disneyland pics.