Sunday, October 7, 2007

Valleys (con't) and Manna and Gifts

Exodus 16:4 "Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a day's portion every day."


I'm still processing the idea of living in the valley and being thankful and blessed to have mountaintop experiences. I picked up a book that our dear friend Esther gave us several years ago, "God's Best for My Life," by Lloyd John Ogilvie. Of course, the Lord had more stuff to say to me..."We can learn how God has revealed Himself to us or others in previous concerns, but we cannot hold over spiritual strength from one event to the other. God gives us a new portion of His power and wisdom for each crisis so that we may discover the unique thing that He seeks to do in each situation, and with each person with whom we come in contact or for whom we are responsible." He related God's grace to the provision of daily manna to the Israelites. God told them to daily take only what they needed. If they hoarded more than they needed, it rotted and got sick and yucky. I was thinking that my wanting to be on the mountaintop and not in the valley is no different than hoarding the manna. Do I not trust God to give me the grace I need to make it through each and every day. What's wrong with being in the valley...in the ho-hum...in the reality that life isn't always giddy and exciting...in the tears, and the laughter. I need to trust God in the daily portion of grace that He has just waiting for me to partake of...all I need to do is to gather it.


As I'm thinking about daily gathering the "manna" in my life, those gifts that God has given me that remind me and show me of His grace for my life, I've seen a few really fun things. I was sitting at the kitchen table and looking out the window toward the cement wall with spikes and razor wire that surround my home. Unfortunately, I wasn't really finding any joy in that at the moment. Then, the Lord brought to my attention a beautiful pink blossom that I hadn't seen. It was on a plant outside the window that I had been curious about...it's first bloom since our arrival. It was gorgeous. I jumped up and took out my camera, and not only was there that one bloom, but down below, there were several more. It was a special gift for me to enjoy to remember that God is just waiting there, wanting to give me grace and "manna," if I will just take it.




Then I decided to go on a little journey around the house and take note of some of the special plants and flowers that God gave me. All around the house are beautiful pink amaryllis...I really don't know how to spell that. They are special to me because I always remember my mom getting one at Christmas. Then, when we were in PNG, our house helper brought several of them and planted them around our house there. There is also a beautiful bougainvillea plant that has been blooming constantly since we arrived. That also reminds me of my mother. She always grew one at home, and would have to bring it inside in the winter so it wouldn't freeze. There are gardenia bushes out front, and I have always loved them. All around our house, there are special gifts that God has planted and watered (which to me is really important because I'm not good at watering). This morning, the birds were right outside our window singing a beautiful worship medley to their creator, and invited me to listen to the chorus. Then the roosters chimed in and so did the dogs :) Those dogs must sing in the bass section!!!!!
To carry the "manna" analogy a little bit further, I have one more thought. Today is Sunday here...God told the Israelites to double up the amount of manna they collected on Saturday so that they wouldn't have to go out fetching manna on Sunday. This would allow them to spend the day in rest. I'm not really sure how I would double up on receiving God's grace on Saturday so that I can rest on Sunday...but I do know that today, God gave me a wonderful gift...one that I knew I would receive, but not sure in what form. Today I can honestly say that our precious girl is walking! You'll have to read the next post to get the rest of the story :)
To quote Lloyd Ogilvie, are you living on "stale grace?" Go out and get your collection of grace for today...it's just waiting for you to pick it up :) PTL!

1 comment:

White Diana said...

Thank you, that was beautiful! Please pass the grace... (ah, you know like we are sitting at the table eating manna...)